Do you know that you can actually make your own Bangus Sardines at home? You don’t have to settle on canned and processed sardines. You can now eat healthy and fresh sardines recipe. Since bangus (milkfish) is quite popular in country. We will be using it in making our favorite sardines.
Here’s how to cook Bangus Sardines:
2 pcs medium sized Bangus (Milkfish) (scales, innards, tail and head removed, cut into 3 parts)
1 and 1/2 cup Tomato Sauce
1/2 cup Tomato Paste
1 pcs medium sized Carrots (cut into florets)
3 pcs Bay Leaves
1/2 cup Olives
1 tsp. Peppercorns
1/2 cup Brown Sugar
3/4 cup Vegetable Oil
1 cup Water
1 pc Onion (chopped)
3 cloves Garlic (minced)
Fresh Chilies (chopped)
Water (for brining)
1. Clean the milkfish. Head, tail, innards and scaled removed. Then cut into 3 parts. Brine the fish. In a bowl, put a good amount of water and salt. Soak the fish for about 1-2 hours.
2. Heat oil in a pan. Sauté onion and garlic.
3. Add in the carrots, tomato paste and tomato sauce. Cook for about 5 minutes.
4. Place the brined fish in the pressure cooker. Then pour in the tomato sauce mixture from the pan.
5. Pour in the water (enough to cover the fish). Add in the peppercorns, bay leaves, olives, fresh chilies, brown sugar, vegetable oil and season with salt. Pressure cook for about 45 minutes to 1 hour.
Ready and Serve!
Note from Delish:
Bangus or milkfish is one of my favorite fish. And I love sardines too. So this Bangus Sardines recipe is definitely a bang! Added sugar to add some sweetness to it. But you can always make adjustments. You can even add more chilies to make it spicy.
If you have any questions about this recipe, drop a comment below or send us an email.
Watch how to make Bangus Sardines here: